Home Insurance Comparison

Compare Cheap Home Insurance

Compare buildings insurance, contents insurance or both together and see if you could save on your premium. Get quotes from multiple insurance brands in one quick and easy search to find the right deal

Our panel of top home and contents insurers

Compare Cheap Home Insurance Quotes

If you’re looking for cheap home insurance, you can find a range of price cuts across selected providers. Just look for our price cut banner when comparing quotes, to see which of our insurance providers could offer you a discount.

Home insurance, also known as house insurance, protects you financially against loss to your home and belongings.

As an example, if your home is damaged or destroyed by fire, having the right cover could mean the home insurance provider will compensate you for the repair or rebuilding of your home as well as the contents within.

There are two types of home insurance: buildings insurance and contents insurance, which can be purchased separately or together from the same insurer.

Damage to a building is covered by buildings insurance. Roofs, walls, floors, as well as permanent fixtures such as windows and kitchens, are included while having contents cover protects your furniture, jewellery, clothing, and other valuables from damage, destruction, or theft.

Generally those that own or mortgage their home will require a combined policy; while renters may only need contents.

The short answer is no, depending on your circumstances - Buildings insurance and contents insurance are not required by law.

For homeowners, as long as you owe a mortgage on your home, your mortgage provider may require that you have buildings insurance in place - just remember to shop around as this doesn't have to be from your mortgage provider and can be cheaper elsewhere.

How can we help you with your home insurance?

We compare the policies and prices of multiple insurance brands in one quick and easy search to help you find the right product at the right price.

Whether you’re looking for buildings insurance, contents insurance, or a combined buildings and contents policy, our service makes it easy to find the product that you want for your home with the cover options you need.

Our guides offer more information on key areas of house insurance such as flooding, security, fire, damaged pipes, subsidence risk and weather damage, plus whether you may need extra cover for things such as accidental damage, home emergency, legal expenses or cover outside the home.

There’s also plenty to read on specialist areas such as bicycle insurance, jewellery cover, freezers, DIY, matching sets, digital downloads, flat insurance, garden insurance, flat roofs, thatched roofs and mobile phone and gadget cover, and you can try our top tips to learn how to save even more on property insurance quotes.

How does home insurance protect me?

It is possible to insure both your buildings and your contents though a pick ‘n’ mix of policies:

Buildings Insurance

Your building insurance covers both the structure and the fixed fittings inside of your house. You’re covered if your home is damaged by fire, flood, storms, falling trees, or vandalism. Subsidence, water damage, and even burst pipes may be covered by your policy.

Contents Insurance

The contents of your house are covered by contents insurance, such as your furniture, home appliances, and clothes (carpets are usually covered as well). High-value items such as jewellery, computers, and bicycles can also be covered separately. It’s always a good idea to check your policy to check whether your contents insurance covers fixed fittings, so you know what is included.

Your house contents are insured against theft, vandalism, floods, etc. For clarification on what is and isn’t covered by your policy, it is a good idea to check with your provider.

Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance

Coverage can be combined – buildings and contents can be insured under one policy. Making a claim is easier if you do this. It’s often cheaper to take out a combined policy than a separate policy, but you should always compare quotes to make sure it’s the right choice for you

Home Insurance FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions - Home Insurance

Does my credit score affect my home insurance quotes?

Yes - the price of your home insurance is affected by your credit score. Credit history helps insurers understand what level of risk they are taking with you and set the appropriate rate.

Can I insure an unoccupied property?

Typically, homeowners insurance covers unoccupied properties for 60 days - everything afterward will not be covered. If your home is empty for more than your standard home insurance policy allows, you can purchase an unoccupied home insurance policy.

An unoccupied home insurance policy covers you when your home is empty for longer than your standard policy will allow.

Are valuables protected outside of the house?

Our personal belongings at home are normally covered by our home contents insurance, however these are not covered when we're out of the house. Many policies include different levels of coverage, but you may have to pay extra for things like jewellery or gadgets that you take outside of the house.

You need to have personal possessions insurance when you take your belongings outside of your home to protect them in case they are damaged or stolen.

What home insurance do I need for a listed building?

Historic and architecturally significant buildings are often covered by a specialised policy because many insurers don't offer standard policies.

See our listed building insurance guide for more info.

What factors affect home insurance rates?

Several factors can affect the price of your home insurance, including:

  • Property size and type
  • The number of people who live there
  • The property's location
  • The security you have
  • The cost to totally rebuild your home
  • The cost of replacing all your possessions
  • Whether you have any items worth more than £1000
  • Any extras you add to your policy

Is there any benefit to buying a combined buildings and contents policy?

A single insurer can offer both buildings and contents cover for your home, which is a great convenience.

You have access to both products with us, so if you need to file a claim you only need to deal with one company, which can help speed up the process. In addition, there is only one excess amount to pay.

Compare Home Insurance

MoneyArk makes it easy to compare home insurance quotes online. It's easy to compare quotes - just fill out a few details about yourself and your house.